Typical Practice Nurse Job Description.
Have you ever considered being a Practice Nurse?
Practice nurses work in GP surgeries where they plan and provide nursing care, treatment and health education to patients of all ages.
What does a Practice Nurse do?
Practice Nurses typically work in GP surgeries and have an essential role to play in delivering care through general practice. At larger GP surgeries, there may be a team of practice nurses; in smaller GP surgeries there may be one practice nurse taking on a range of roles. This is an area where job opportunities are expected to increase as more nursing care moves out of hospitals and into the community. Practice Nurses may also work in clinics and health centres.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Patient consultations within surgeries or health centres
- Carrying out physical examinations, investigatory procedures, and cervical smear and pregnancy tests
- Diagnosing and treating illnesses and ailments
- Providing advice about contraception and fitting contraceptive devices
- Treating wounds, applying and removing dressings
- Providing emergency first aid and treatment
- Giving advice, education, and information about health conditions and ailments eg: stopping smoking and losing weight
- Taking patient samples, swabs, and specimens, and checking pulses, temperatures and blood pressures
- Administering immunisations, vaccinations (for example for influenza) and childhood injections
- Running well women and men clinics and clinics for specific ailments such as diabetes and asthma
- Liaising with other health care professionals, practice nurses, GPs and/or hospitals
- Writing records and keeping patients’ notes up to dateThe job can be tiring but is nevertheless rewarding and highly respected.
Typical employers of Practice Nurses:
- Health centres
- GP surgeries
Qualifications and training required:
You will need to be a qualified and registered nurse to work in general practice.
- Good health and fitness
- Flexible and adaptable
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Well organised
- Ability to take initiative
- Critical thinking and decision making
- Offering advice
If this sounds like you, and you want to know more about Practice Nurse work. We have many jobs available in the Greater Auckland area.
Like us on https://www.facebook.com/maxwellhealthltd/ to stay updated on Maxwell Health